[fitsbits] Windows FITS viewer / data extraction

George Dishman george at briar.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 18 07:38:28 EST 2000

"William Pence" <pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote in message news:20001217203209.A6695 at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov...

> These files can be viewed with the 'fv' FITS file viewer and editor
> which is available at http://fv.gsfc.nasa.gov
>
> The data in these file are contained in a binary table extension
> instead of as a simple 2D image; the table extension contains 5
> columns, including GAL_LON, GAL_LAT, and WEIGHT.  You can use fv
> to plot GAL_LAT vs. GAL_LON (using the 'plot' tool under the fv
> table 'tools' menu). Similarly you can generate a 2D image of
> GAL_LAT vs. GAT_LON using the 'histogram' tool.

I have FV installed and working and have exported some simple
plots. The .ps file converts nicely to Acrobat pdf.

What I would really like to do is get the vector table
into either Microsoft Excel or Access so that I can run
some routines to look at systematic errors and generate
composite curves by excluding extreme values. I have
exported the base table to ASCII which I can then import
but the export function is not available when viewing
the vector table. Is there some way to get at this data?
--
Give me a small laser and I'll move the sun.
Weep not for those who were, rather for those who may never be.