[fitsbits] Re: importing FITs files...

Larry Hutchinson larryh at user2.teleport.com
Mon Nov 1 11:59:05 EST 1999

Derek Schulze wrote:
> I am trying to find a way to get FITs files into any common viewer that
> would be capable of appending the files together to form a single stacked
> file of images (eg; NIH Image, ImageJ, ImageTool).  Could I make a MOV or
> > AVI out of a series of FITs files?
>
> Anyone out there have any ideas?  Thanks.

Igor Pro 3.1 can do this.

As it happens, I am helping an Igor user do this very thing. I have
rewritten Igor's FITS loader procedure to be easily called from
user written procedures. I then used that to create a procedure to
load all FITS files in a directory, concatenating all the primary
images into a single data cube. You can then view individual frames manually
or you can create a QuickTime movie.

You have probably never heard about Igor Pro (due to our highly successful
stealth marketing program of the last 11 years) so here is a quickie:

Igor Pro is a very powerful scientific graphing and data analysis program
available from WaveMetrics Inc. for both Macintosh and Windows. It is
comparable in power to matlab and IDL except that it has an actual user
interface and is much less expensive. It emphasizes publication quality
graphics.

For info about Igor Pro, browse www.WaveMetrics.com. (NOTE: although
very plain looking, our web site is fairly deep and useful.)

If you download the demo version of Igor, the FITS loader procedure is
described in an Igor experiment (workspace file) named "FITS Loader Demo"
contained in the "Contours & Images" directory. You will also want
to checkout the "Image Processing Demo" experiment in the same location.

For more info about the FITS procedures I am working on, email me
at larryh at teleport.com.

-Larry Hutchinson
-WaveMetrics

--
larryh at teleport.com  Public Access User --- Not affiliated with TECHbooks
Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-1016 (2400-14400, N81)