FITS to GIF/TIFF/etc.

Martino Nicolini tecnico at artiglio.it
Mon Mar 29 09:39:55 EST 1999

Hello,

Astroart is a new 32bit software for astronomical image processing and
analysis (for Windows95-98 and NT (TM)). It supports FITS file format (you
can easly edit the header) as well as 20 commercial CCD formats like SBIG,
HiSIS, Starlight, Pixcell, Seti 245, Cookbook, Lynxx, Electrim or a generic
free format for particular cameras; some other nice features are a true real
time zoom and 3D window.
It has advanced filters like a new adaptive algorithm, gaussian high pass,
convolution and deconvolution (Lucy-Richardson and Maximum Likelihood)
rotational gradient (Larson-Sekanina) and many others...
Using a simple drag&drop you can manipolate groups of images with the
advanced tools in the PreProcessing window (in just a few seconds you can
calibrate for dark, flat and bias and align and sum a set of images); create
your own macros for many pourposes etc.
Another very powerful feature is the easy astrometric and photometric
calibration with an integrated Star Atlas based on the G.S.C. catalogue: it
fully support the WCS (World Coordinate System) with standard FITS keywords
so you can correctly read sky coordinates in your images also with other
UNIX based and advanced software like IRAF, MIDAS, XEPHEM etc. now on Linux
platform.

After our efforts in developing and producing this big package, we decided
to share with the CCD astronomical amateur community a freeware-demo version
(in english and italian), available at:

http://www.sira.it/msb/astroart.htm

Only the advanced features are not supported, but you can load, display,
read the WCS etc. in every kind of images and, above all, it does not expire
with the time: enjoy it forever!

The freeware-demo version will allow you to save FITS images only in the BMP
format

Best regards,

MSB
Fabio Cavicchio and Martino Nicolini