FITS sample scaling

Alessandro Scotti ascotti at netscape.net
Tue Jul 13 10:14:54 EDT 1999

Hello. I have added support for FITS simple images to a program of mine and
while the image loads just fine sometimes I get very dark pictures with little
contrast. Using DISPLAY (a DOS picture viewer) I noticed that for these images
it says something like "sqrt scale", while on other it is "linear scale". I
have found no documentation on that feature so far, can someone explain what's
going on or point me to some document? Even the smallest hint will be
*very* appreciated.

Thanks.