Are 3-digit exponents OK?

Patrick L. Nolan pln at egret1.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 19 20:57:26 EST 1999

I'm working on porting cfitsio to a new compiler.  This compiler has
an eccentricity that worries me.  When it prints floating-point numbers,
as in FITS headers, it always uses three digits in the exponent.
For example, it prints "1.3E+001" rather than the familiar "1.3E+01".

I have looked through a recent Users' Guide to FITS, and it doesn't
seem to have anything to say on this issue.  Is this going to break
anyone's FITS reader?
--
*   Patrick L. Nolan                                          *
*   W. W. Hansen Experimental Physics Laboratory (HEPL)       *