[fitsbits] Re: leap second alert

William Thompson thompson at orpheus.nascom.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 13 14:17:24 EST 1999

seaman at noao.edu (Rob Seaman) writes:

>We had an interesting inquiry that deserves a wider distribution.
>An astronomer with a friend at the NIST forwarded this to an NOAO
>staff member who forwarded it to me.  Now it's in your lap, too.

>    > As you know, Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is derived from cesium
>    > clocks with the occasional addition of leap seconds. These leap seconds
>    > guarantee that the magnitude of UTC-UT1 does not exceed 1 s.
>    >
>    > Managing leap seconds is an administrative headache, and there have
>    > been proposals for some time to abandon using them. If this were done,
>    > the difference between UTC and UT1 would grow without bound. Currently,
>    > the rate of divergence is about 1 minute per century, and this rate is
>    > projected to increase as the Earth continues to slow down.
>    >
>    > Assuming this were done, would the lives of astronomers be made more
>    > difficult?  If astronomers have to incorporate a UT1 correction in any
>    > case, does it matter how big it is? If they currently use this
>    > correction, how accurately do they need to know it?
>    >
>    > Thanks for your assistance.
>    >
>    > Judah Levine

	(rest deleted)

I'm also concerned about this.  Not very long ago, I received a questionaire
from the USNO concerning this matter.  Since the questionaire includes the
statement "feel free to forward this eamil directly", and since the question
has come up in this group, I'm including it below.

Personally, I have many reservations about this proposal, which I have
communicated to the address below.  The simplest reservation is, if UTC-TAI
were to remain at a fixed value, why have UTC at all?  Why not simply use TAI?

I also don't see what the big deal is.  One of my responsibilities is keeping
track of the addition of new leap seconds, and it's really a simple, minor
task.  It's hard to see what's driving this proposal.

William Thompson