Free visualization software

Nick Kew nick at webthing.com
Tue Aug 31 11:50:31 EDT 1999

>> Next issue: if governments fund development of [XYZ] - in this instance
>> JAVA visualisation software - it can make life hard for commercial
>> developers to compete in the same field (why pay for my product when
>> theirs is free, and backed by the public purse)?  As a developer of
>> scientific visualisation software in JAVA, I could be tempted to see
>> public funding for someone elses software as unfair competition.
>>

> You raise valid points.  Two points to consider in reply:
> 1. As freeware you *may* get what you pay for in terms of support,
>    future upgrades, etc.  Some people will want to go with a commercial
>    supplier under the theory, at least, that these will be smaller
>    problems.

I think Linux's increasing 'mainstream' profile, together with the
dreadful track record of many commercial companies, are increasingly
demolishing that argument.  It won't go away, but it will certainly change.

> 2. Since the taxpayers paid for its development (presumably for some
>    specific internal use, not just to be produced as a software
>    package), why shouldn't they get to use it if possible?

That's the US Govt view - others govts take the opposite view (make
people pay for it, so in theory the taxpayer recoups some costs).
The trouble with govt funding in either case is that most of it
goes to whoever has the slickest pointy-haired weasel and maybe the
best hospitality, rather than the best ideas and/or developers.

--
Nick Kew