Fits convert into (bmp,tif,gif)

super_banane at my-deja.com super_banane at my-deja.com
Fri Aug 6 07:35:43 EDT 1999

In article <37A2EE13.59B6A81C at enserg.fr>,
  Nicolas POINTEAU <npointea at enserg.fr> wrote:
> I'm looking how the programming convert FITS images. I can open these
16
> bits FITS images with the MATLAB code, and then I'd like to convert
> image into 8 bits. I don't succeed. I think that we have to define
High
> and Low level to do this convertion, but I don't know how it works.

Hello:

If you are just looking for a utility that converts
FITS files pixel depths, you might be interested
in the following stand-alone C code:

http://www.eso.org/~ndevilla/saft

Go to the bottom of the page and have a look at
'iofits'. It does pixel depth conversion between
all possible FITS types. Beware that no scaling
is applied, though.

'iofits' is stand-alone, i.e. you do not need any
special library or compiler nor external programs
to compile and use it. Just do:

gcc -o iofits iofits.c

... and you're done.

Hope it helps,