Version 100-2.0 of NASA FITS Standard released

Bill Cotton bcotton at nrao.edu
Mon Apr 26 09:27:48 EDT 1999

Peter Teuben writes:
 > Having been on the original NOST-1 panel, and working with
 > FITS Random  Format files almost on a daily basis I've of course
 > also been weary about what "deprecate" really means. You can
 > even find a definition in the current NOST manual.
 >
 > We (the panel) meant to tell the community that new data should
 > not be using this format, since "better" ones are available
 > (binary tables). However, existing ones should indeed fall under
 > the "once fits, always fits" chapter.
 >

 > In an older version we defined it as:
 >
 > "To express earnest disapproval of. This term is used to refer to   obsolete
 > structures that ought not to be used but remain valid."
 >
 > However, there has been some discussion that the word "ought" in
 > that definition may be too strong.
 >

 > I remind you that we deprecated 3 FITS features:
 >
 > - random groups
 > - the BLOCKED keyword
 > - the EPOCH keyword
 >
 > but again, it remains true that old data will not be deprecated,
 > one will be able to read it. It's meant to refer to new data, but
 > does not disallow it, but may be frowned upon.
 >

 > Bill Cotton wrote:
 >
 > >    I note with dismay that this version of the NASA FITS standard
 > > still tries to deprecate the FITS random groups format.  This format
 > > is in widespread use in the radio interferometry community.  The
 > > attempt to deprecate this format is in violation of the fundamental
 > > principle of FITS, "once FITS, always FITS".  Clintonian weasel words
 > > on the subject are not helpful.  I am forced to question the
 > > responsiveness of the NASA committee to the non-NASA FITS community.
 > >
 > > -Bill Cotton
 >

 > peter

   This is yet a further redefinition of "deprecated".  My
understanding was that the weasel words were intended to apply to new
applications (projects), not new data.  Many new random groups FITS
files are generated daily and will for the foreseeable future.
The BLOCKED keyword is largely irrelevant and EPOCH was a mistake, at
least in its intended usage.  Deprecation of random groups is a
denial of present reality.

-Bill Cotton