Version 100-2.0 of NASA FITS Standard released

Bill Cotton bcotton at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 20 20:25:05 EDT 1999

   I note with dismay that this version of the NASA FITS standard
still tries to deprecate the FITS random groups format.  This format
is in widespread use in the radio interferometry community.  The
attempt to deprecate this format is in violation of the fundamental
principle of FITS, "once FITS, always FITS".  Clintonian weasel words
on the subject are not helpful.  I am forced to question the
responsiveness of the NASA committee to the non-NASA FITS community.

-Bill Cotton