wcs.ps and scs.ps

Mike Nolan nolan at naic.edu
Mon Apr 19 12:02:24 EDT 1999

>      I am unfamiliar with airmass, does it have a clear definition?

Airmass is atmospheric optical depth normalized to zenith optical depth
assuming a spherically uniform atmosphere.  It is usually
approximated as sec(zenith angle), which is the only other case
(besides sin za) I can think of that needs explicit trig.  One
generally measures extinction as a function of airmass for calibration
of optical photometry.

I don't have any idea why one would need inverse trig functions, I
only wanted to note that they are one of the cases where you'd rather
choose the notation in advance.

-Mike