FITS and Java

Tom McGlynn tam at silk.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 15 10:12:47 EDT 1999

Dear Arno,

There are a systems available for handling FITS
in Java.  You may want to look at the Java FITS
library that I've written to access image and binary
table FITS data. [Try the links
in http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/heasarc/fits/fits_libraries.html ]

There are higher level visualization packages avaiable.
The NCSA's Horizon system does 2-D visualization of FITS images
[ http://imagelib.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Horizon ]
There's a package WebWinds developed at JPL which handles FITS data
and includes visualization tools.
[ http://webwinds.jpl.nasa.gov/ ]

There are several other systems, e.g., SkyView, in which a visualizer for
FITS images is embedded and where one might extract the relevant code.
[ Try the Java interface under http://skyview.gsfc.nasa.gov ]

Hope these starting points help.

	Regards,
	Tom McGlynn