wcs.ps and scs.ps

Eric Greisen egreisen at valen.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Apr 9 13:24:25 EDT 1999

Both wcs.ps and scs.ps have had modifications made.  The latter was
primarily the addition of a reference on relativistic velocities
suggested by Don Wells.  wcs.ps was changed to implement the
suggestion copied below.  Remarks about the actual (deprecated) status
of CDELT were added by me.  This status means that CDELT and its
offspring may be used in writing, but only if the new forms are not
used  (i.e. CDji, PVj_m and version codes other than blank).  The
political machinations have settled on the idea that CDELT is
deprecated but will have to be understood by readers for a long time
to come.  We are recommending that, either one uses solely older forms
of coordinates or solely newer forms.  Mark and I miss the simplicity
of the CDELT formulation, but understand some of the problems
perceived by the people who opposed the CDELT * PC formulation we had
proposed.  The desire for separate spelling for primary and secondary
forms (below) is an offshoot of the change from CDELT * PC to CDj_i.

Oh well, I think we are converging.  Is there anyone who does not
think so?  See

      ftp://ftp.cv.nrao.edu/NRAO-staff/egreisen/wcs.ps
      ftp://ftp.cv.nrao.edu/NRAO-staff/egreisen/scs.ps

Thanks,

Eric W. Greisen