OBJECT names

Arnold Rots arots at xebec.harvard.edu
Mon May 11 17:02:04 EDT 1998

I agree that it is absolutely essential that the syntax of OBJECT be
regulated to conform to the Committee 5 guidelines - or at least to
something the name resolvers can be reasonably expected to handle.

For AXAF, we have designated the keyword TITLE to contain the proposal
title, but in principle it could be used for any kind of "junky"
information, like suggested below, at the discretion of the project
that generates the FITS files.

  - Arnold Rots

William Pence wrote:
> Nicolaas Kuin wrote:
>
> >   There is no reason that Keck and Lick could not introduce their own
> > LICK_OBJ for a string like
> > LICK_OBJ = 'NGC 1234, 400 s, blue filter, 1200 line grating'
> > which then could be put into the header.
>
> I'd agree that it would be better to invent a new keyword to record the
> user's observation title, (OBSTITLE?) and reserve OBJECT for its
> intended purpose, which is to give the name of the object observed and
> nothing more.
>
> -Bill Pence

Arnold H. Rots                                         AXAF Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 81                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu