Deprecation of Random Groups

Bill Cotton bcotton at nrao.edu
Fri May 1 14:15:20 EDT 1998

William Pence writes:
 > Putting aside the issue of 'deprecation' for a moment, what would it
 > take for the radio interferometry community to switch from using random
 > groups to using binary tables for future data collection?   For
 > example, would it be possible for the major players in this field to
 > form a working group to work out the details for a binary table format
 > and on a time table for implementation (say by 1 Jan 2000, like the
 > Y2000 agreement)?

   This was attempted several years ago and basically failed for
reasons that had nothing to do with the merits of the different
formats.  A binary tables format for radio interferometry was
developed and widely circulated for comments.  The implementation of
this format was only partially complete and is limited to some VLBI
correlator outputs.
   The state of software politics in the radio astronomical community
is such that a change of formats is currently completely impossible.

   From a purely technical point of view there is little to be gained
from switching from a Random Groups format to binary tables; the
difference is merely the file headers - the actual bit patterns could
be unchanged.  I'm afraid that we're stuck with the current situation
for the forseeable future.

-Bill Cotton