re OBJECT keyword

Arnold Rots arots at xebec.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 8 08:55:25 EDT 1998

Restraining myself from making inflammatory remarks (;-), let me just
comment that while introduction of IAUDESIG might sound like a good
solution to those who have abused the OBJECT keyword in the past, it
also throws a monkeywrench into the designs of those who have
traditionally tried to use OBJECT in the way Don Wells is suggesting.

What I am saying is that the situation is not as simple as Steve
presents it.  He argues that tightening the definition of the existing
keyword causes havoc in one part of the community and hence proposes a
new keyword.  I would argue that the introduction of a new keyword
causes havoc in another part of the community.

Sounds like we need to think this one through a little more carefully...

  - Arnold

Steve Allen wrote:
> In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.980605125836.19151C-100000 at dr21.astro.uiuc.edu>,
> Helene Dickel  <lanie at astro.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> >The Task Group on Designations supports inclusion of Don Well's statement
> >into Section 5.4.2.2 re OBJECT
>
> Upon much reflection some of us here have come to the conclusion that
> the OBJECT keyword should not be forced into this application.
>
> The existing standard has required merely that OBJECT "shall contain a
> character string giving the name of the object observed".  This has

(Note that the definition says "the name of the object", not "some
name-like description and a grab bag of unrelated items".)

> led to the development of user interfaces which allow a very broad
> interpretation of this keyword.  At this time it is not feasible to
> modify the behavior of the user interfaces nor the astronomers such
> that the OBJECT keyword can comply with Don Wells' recommendation.
>
> Many FITS files are produced by real-time data acquisition systems at
> optical telescopes.  The prescription of the IAU RN is best suited for
> archival purposes.  The astronomers who are directing the observations
> and setting the value of the OBJECT keyword do not always have
> full-fledged IAU designations available before the shutter closes.
> Their attention is directed toward validation of the existing data and
> most efficient use of the remaining night time, not toward pedantic
> filling out of OBJECT names.
>
> Many FITS file browsing utilities, such as IRAF imhead, by default
> display the content of the OBJECT keyword when listing the content of
> a directory full of files.  This has, unfortunately, led to an
> entrenched habit of using the OBJECT keyword as an online notepad to
> record other attributes of the observation for easy browsing at the
> time of data reduction.
>
> We cannot envision a user interface which can overcome the human
> factors involved in the setting of OBJECT values so as to conform
> reliably to the IAU Recommendations for Nomenclature (IAU RN).
>
> Instead we recommend the adoption of a new keyword, IAUDESIG, with a
> value explicitly specified as conforming to the IAU Recommendations
> for Nomenclature.  This may be set by the astronomer at the time
> of data reduction, when the nature of the object is better known
> and there is no race with impending sunrise.
> --
> Steve Allen          UCO/Lick Observatory       Santa Cruz, CA 95064
> sla at ucolick.borg     Voice: +1 408 459 3046     FAX (don't): +1 408 454 9863
> WWW: http://www.ucolick.borg/~sla               PGP public keys:  see WWW
> Junk mail is irrelevant -- my return address has been assimilated.

Arnold H. Rots                                         AXAF Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 81                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu