re OBJECT keyword

Helene Dickel lanie at astro.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 5 14:05:05 EDT 1998

To: fitsbits at fits.cv.nrao.edu

Topic: re Draft of FITS standard revision 1.2..
	Section 5.4.2.2 Keywords Describing Observations (OBJECT)
   and	Section 5.2.1   Character String

As Chair of the IAU Commmission 5 Task Group on Designations, I am
writing in support of some of the recent suggestions regarding the
FITS OBJECT key word - its length and its use.

Briefly, the purpose of the IAU Task Group on Designations is to
promote clear and unambiguous identification of astronomical objects
outside the solar system. Much confusion exists with duplicate acronyms
and shortened designations appearing in the literature which creates
problems with archiving and retrieval of data.  Improving the situation
becomes all the more important as source names are searched in the
Electronic Journals.

The Task Group on Designations supports inclusion of Don Well's statement
into Section 5.4.2.2 re OBJECT  and that of Bill Pence into Section 5.2.1
re Character Strings (both statments attached) in the belief that these
additions will facilitate rather than hinder the creation and use of
unambiguous designations which these days can require more than
24 characters e.g.

   ("first" release Sloan Digital Sky Survey; Pre-registered to IAU Comm.5)
	1SDSS JHHMMSS.ss+DDMMSS.s
   <http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/Dic?/2887107>

We are also in accord with several other submitted comments which I append.

Thank you for your efforts and best wishes,
Helene R. Dickel, Chair IAU TG on Designations

	From Don Wells  <dwells at NRAO.EDU>  April 17 1998 wrote
	that the text for 5.4.2.2 OBJECT should include the following
	statement (slightly modified by HRD):

"It is recommended that data systems which originate
OBJECT strings (e.g., telescope/instrument data systems) encourage
observers to use strings which conform to the recommendations of the
Designations Task Group of IAU Commission 5 (Astronomical Data) as
given in "IAU Recommendations for Nomenclature"
<http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/iau-spec.html>."

	Bill Pence <pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov> suggested on May 5 1998
	adding a couple sentences to the end of section 5.2.1
	(which defines character string keywords) to the effect:

"The maximum allowed length of a keyword string is 68 characters (with
the opening and closing quote characters in columns 11 and 80,
respectively).  Software which reads or writes any character string
keyword should support strings up to this maximum length."

Other recommendations that the TG on Designation supports are:

	Steve Willner <willner at cfa183.harvard.edu> on May 5 1998
	included the following in regards to allowed "characters"
	in the OBJECT key word strings:

Also, be sure to allow the necessary special characters:
colons and parentheses at least and preferably slashes and
equal signs as well.

	Arnold Rots arots at xebec.harvard.edu (& William Pence and Nicolaas Kuin)