Comments on FITS Standard 1.2

Arnold Rots arots at xebec.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 27 10:18:35 EDT 1998

Patrick Wallace wrote:
> Kevid Reardon wrote:
>
> > "Use of GPS time (19  s behind TAI) is deprecated"
> > ...why is it deprecated? For many amateurs or smaller observatories
> > this may be the easiest way to get an precise time measurement.
>
> I think the deprecation refers to use of the timescale, not the method
> of getting the time.
>
> Patrick Wallace

That is correct.  Most GPS applications and devices, I believe, will
convert the GPS time automatically to UTC, but internally the GPS
maintains its own time scale, different from everybody else's %-)

  - Arnold

> Starlink Project Manager                        Internet:  ptw at star.rl.ac.uk
> Rutherford Appleton Laboratory                       Tel:    +44-1235-445372
> Chilton, Didcot, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK                   Fax:    +44-1235-446667

Arnold H. Rots                                         AXAF Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 81                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu