Adobe Acrobat format for documentation

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at ifctr.mi.cnr.it
Mon Sep 22 05:29:07 EDT 1997

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Frederic Taugwalder wrote:

>  Would it be possible to be able to retrieve the FITS documentation in Adobe
> Acrobat format in the near future ?

  Please don't.
  Or at least continue to supply good old Postscript as well.
  I would not encourage this proliferation of formats.

> As a user, I find this multiplatform format the more reliable for document
> exchange. It's not so simple from an Windows NT machine to retrieve and
> print them in postscript format.

  As a Unix user, I definitely prefer Postscript, which I can lpr directly,
  and preview with a previewer bundled with my OS, without the need of
  installing a new viewer every other day.
  (BTW, our institute's NT server has a Ghostview previewer installed, I
  do not know if it came bundled or was installed by the administrator).

Lucio Chiappetti - IFCTR/CNR - via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)
Fuscim donca de Miragn        E tornem a sta scio' in Bregn
Che i fachign e i cortesagn   Magl' insema no stagn begn
Drizza la', compa' Tapogn                            (Rabisch, II 41, 96-99)
For more info : http://www.ifctr.mi.cnr.it/~lucio/personal.html