Adobe Acrobat format for documentation

Tim Pickering tim at lothar.as.arizona.edu
Tue Sep 23 03:47:15 EDT 1997

On 22 Sep 1997 18:17:22 GMT, William Thompson wrote:

>I think that supplying the FITS documentation would be very helpful to users,
>since for many platforms the PDF viewers are more capable than PostScript
>viewers, and since the PDF files are smaller than the PostScript files.
>However, I would agree with the statement that the PDF files should augment
>rather than supplant the PostScript files--not everyone has a PDF viewer, and
>there are still platforms that Adobe Acrobat does not run on.
>
>William Thompson

adobe acrobat is not a necessary prerequisite for viewing PDF files.
recent versions (>4.00) of aladdin ghostscript can understand PDF as
well as postscript. the latest version can be found at
ftp.cs.wisc.edu:/ghost/aladdin. i know that recent versions of (>3)
ghostview fully support these PDF capabilities and i think that for
unix machines ghostview 3 or newer is far superior to acroread as a
PDF reader.

tim

--
  Time is like fingers
Gesturing for me to stop      --- A Quake Haiku