Fits files software?

William Pence pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 8 09:54:36 EDT 1997

> From goldredger at worldnet.att.net Sun Sep  7 22:49:31 1997
>
> I'm new to astronomy and want to know best software for viewing and
> study of fits files for astronomy courses. Is there some good shareware?

Version 2.0 of the 'fv' interactive program for viewing, plotting, and
editting FITS format images and tables is available via the web at

    http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/software/ftools/fv.html

This tool is being developed by the HEASARC at NASA/Goddard Space
Flight Center.  The next release of fv is planned for later this Fall
and will have many new features, including better image display and
plotting capabilities, the ability to sort FITS tables, and a
calculator keypad that can perform spread-sheet type calculations on
columns of a table.

Fv currently runs on most Unix platforms.  It will be ported to run on
Windows 95/NT and Mac OS machines as soon as the necessary supporting
Tcl/Tk libraries (mainly itcl3.0) become available, hopefully by the
end of 1997.

Bill Pence, on behalf of the fv developers.
HEASARC, NASA/GSFC