A question about the standard

Barry M. Schlesinger bschlesinger at ndadsb-f.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 7 14:02:00 EST 1997

In article <lh200t7yu0.fsf at sapc47.estec.esa.nl>, gvacanti at astro.estec.esa.nl (Giuseppe Vacanti) writes...

>Greetings.
>
>I have a question about the FITS standard that I haven't been able to
>address by reading NOST 100-1.1.
>
>4.3.1 says that in the header of a primary HDU card imnages without
>information shall be filled with ASCII blanks.
>
>5.1.1 (syntax of card images) says that header (any header I suppose)
>card images shall consist of key word (mandatory I suppose), optional
>value, and optional comment.
>
>Now my question is: is it legal to have (before the END key word) a
>card image filled with blanks?

Yes.  5.2.2.4 (Commentary Keywords - Keyword Field is blank) addresses
this question
     "Columns 9-80 may contain any ASCII text.  Any number of card
      images with blank keyword fields may appear in the header."
As is the case for the HISTORY and COMMENT keywords, a blank keyword
field implies that the contents of columns 9-80 are to be treated as
a comment.  The comment may be blank, and if the keyword field is also
blank, the entire card is blank.

>... in the header of a binary table extension.
>...  FTOOLS's fverify says the file is
>ok, FTOOLS's fv cannot display the extension containing such cards
>(but it doesn't complain), CFITSIO reports an error (202=key word does
>not exist), FTOOLS's fdump will gladly show the header.
>
>So I'm getting mixed replies from the software. Would anybody care to
>comment on this problem?

This question should be answered by the FTOOLS team.

					Barry Schlesinger
					FITS Support Office
					GSFC/ADF