FITS on the web

Rollin C. Thomas redshift at pursn3.physics.purdue.edu
Tue Mar 4 10:47:26 EST 1997

Paul Borlin (n9244366 at cc.wwu.edu) wrote:
: I have recently created a web page containing all the images our school has
: created.  The images are in several formats including FITS.  I have
: experience one problem.  All the browsers I have used want to load FITS
: (and ST6) files directly into the viewing window instead of downloading
: them.  The only thing I have been able to do to resolve this is to compress
: them, and I don't want to do that.  I've noticed that most FITS achives
: don't.  How do I get around this problem?

Perhaps instead of specifying a url like "http://blah.edu/whatever/image.fit"
you specify "ftp://blah.edu/whatever/" and have an anonymous ftp thingy
going?

So I assume you guys use a SBIG ST-6?  We've got a Meade LX-200 16" with
a SBIG ST-6.  How you like the setup?  Do you use the CCDOPS program
with it, or your own?  It annoys me how CCDOPS will write, but not read
FITS files...

Rollin

Dr. Rollin C. Thomas, Realm Assassin, afab  redshift at pursn3.physics.purdue.edu
	"Do not store Great Bluedini Kool-Aid in a metal container."