keyword units

Lucio Chiappetti lucio at ifctr.mi.cnr.it
Mon Jul 28 04:14:44 EDT 1997

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Peter Bunclark wrote:

> One of the heated internal debates we had recently at the RGO was about
> whether keyword units should be SI units; we ended up putting the telescope
> focus in metres, whereas mm is far more natural.

  Uh ?
  Aren't all decimal divider and multiplier prefixes (milli micro kilo mega
  etc.) part of SI  *AS WELL AS* the "main" units ?

  Thus "feet" or "parsecs" would not be SI, but m, km, mm etc, will !

Lucio Chiappetti - IFCTR/CNR - via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)
For more info : http://www.ifctr.mi.cnr.it/~lucio/personal.html