Solar coordinates

Mark Calabretta mcalabre at atnf.csiro.au
Tue Jan 28 21:28:25 EST 1997

On Fri 1997/01/03 20:03:48 GMT, William Thompson wrote
in a message to: fitsbits at fits.cv.nrao.edu

> As I see it, there are three coordinate systems relevant to solar data.

The PLON/PLAT proposal that I forwarded before xmas provided an example of a
WCS application.  Basically I have no interest in it other than as a
demonstration of usage (where it appears to have been largely successful).

The next steps are up to you.  If the solar community can decide on the exact
details of PLON/PLAT usage then you should refine the proposal.  You may also
want to define related coordinate systems such as ZLON/ZLAT (say) with the
pole at the sub-viewer point.  It may or may not be possible to register
this/these in the WCS draft depending on timescales.

Mark Calabretta
ATNF