Floating point NaN values as Keywords

Tim Pearson tjp at bottom.caltech.edu
Mon Aug 18 16:31:33 EDT 1997

Personally, I think the correct thing to do, when the value to be
associated with a FITS keyword is unknown, is to omit the keyword
altogether.  Well-written FITS readers must be prepared to cope with
this eventuality anyway. I can see no advantage in writing an explicit
"unknown" or "NaN" value, to recognize which readers would need to be
upgraded.

Tim Pearson (Caltech)

--
Dr Timothy J. Pearson
Astronomy Dept 105-24, Caltech, Pasadena, California 91125, USA