Happy Birthday, FITS!

Don Wells dwells at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 28 14:35:27 EST 1996

I consider March 28th to be the birthday for FITS, because it was on
March 28, 1979, that Eric Greisen and I completed the Basic FITS
Agreement. FITS is a teenager -- today is its 17th birthday.

HISTORY: See http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/documents/overviews/history.news
for the history of the Basic FITS Agreement..

REPRINTS: I still have original reprints of four FITS papers:

* 14 copies of the first FITS    paper (SPIE vol.264 1980)
* 15 copies of the Basic FITS    paper (A&A Supplement Series 1981)
* 25 copies of the Random Groups paper (A&A Supplement Series 1981)
* 22 copies of the Binary Tables paper (A&A Supplement Series 1995)

I will send sets of these reprints, in the order that requests are
received, until the supply is exhausted.

INCUNABULA: A small collection of early FITS files is located at
    http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/data/tests/incunabula/
(or ftp://fits.cv.nrao.edu/fits/data/tests/incunabula/)
I will be very pleased to receive copies of other early FITS files
which I can add to this collection. I will be especially pleased to
receive any files with DATE values on or before June 1981, when the
Basic_FITS paper was published. Please look around your offices and
labs for _old_ FITS files and inform me of their existence, so that we
can make arrangements for copying them to the incunabula directory.

Don Wells (Chair, IAU FITS Working Group)
  Donald C. Wells         Associate Scientist         dwells at nrao.edu
                    http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/~dwells
  National Radio Astronomy Observatory                +1-804-296-0277
  520 Edgemont Road,   Charlottesville, Virginia       22903-2475 USA