SAOimage and FITS

William Pence pence at tetra.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 19 14:24:35 EDT 1996

Saleem Mukhtar <saleem at aig.jpl.nasa.gov> wrote (Mon, 17 Jun 1996):

> I want to convert an array of intergers to FITS format and vice versa.
> Please could someone help me. I would like to use C.

The CFITSIO package contains a set of relatively simple to use routines
written in ANSI C for reading or writing FITS files. It is available on the
Web at http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/software/fitsio/fitsio.html or
by anonymous ftp from legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov in the directory
software/fitsio/c.

This is still labeled as a 'beta' release, but it has been fully tested
and is fully functional.  This version will probably become the first
full release within a couple weeks.

Refer to the CFITSIO User's Guide for full details on building and
using this C library.  In particular refer to 'Basic Interface' chapter
that describes the 16 basic routines that can perform most FITS file
operations.  There is also a sample program called cookbook.c that
contains simple examples of how to use CFITSIO.

-Bill Pence
 HEASARC/GSFC/NASA