Request for conventions - for FITS User's Guide

Barry M. Schlesinger bschlesinger at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 25 16:28:00 EDT 1996

At the FITS Support Office, we are currently generating a new version
of the User's Guide.  The section on Advanced FITS will contain
discussions of a number of proposals and conventions that have been
publicly discussed but are not part of the new rules, in particular

o	The three conventions in the appendixes to the binary tables
		paper

o	The Green Bank array-in-table convention

o	The Grouping proposal

o	The Checksum proposal

o	A number of HEASARC conventions
	- Syntax for keyword and column names
	- CREATOR keyword
	- TSORTKEY keyword
 	- Keywords for maximum and minimum values in table columns

If there are other conventions that are in wide use and acceptable to
the community at large, we would like to include them as well.  If
there is an additional convention that you think should be included,
post a description or pointer to a description to
sci.astro.fits=fitsbits before August 12.

					Barry M. Schlesinger
					FITS Support Office
					GSFC/ADF