Copying fits tapes

Geraint Lewis gfl at mail.ast.cam.ac.uk
Sun Jul 21 18:04:23 EDT 1996

 Hi - I am having serious problems copying a fits tape
 over a network. I have an dat tape, written at ESO,
 which I need to copy over to an exabyte. The dat drive
 is on a sun (SunOS4.1.3) and the exabyte is on an Alpha
 (OSF/1). lack of disk space does not allow me to copy the
 files off, using iraf, and then back on, so I thought I
 would use dd -

 From the sun, I typed:

 dd if=/dev/rst0 bs=2880 files=1000 | ( rsh alpha of=/dev/rmt/0h  ---
 bs=2880 files=1000 )

 The copy appears to work, (ie - blocks in and out agree), but when
 I try and read the exabyte, using iraf under OSF and VMS, as well
 as IDL(vms) the first file is read successfully (ie can be displayed
 etc), but then nothing happens, no prompt is returned, no second file
 is read, everything just sits there. I have tried several dd's now, but
 this seems to be the outcome.

 Would somebody care to comment on where the possible problem is ?

 Thanks - Geraint

 ps - please feel free to mail me questions on the above, I will put
 together a solution and post it when I have one....