MJD - not acceptable according to IAU (?)

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jul 1 13:34:25 EDT 1996

Pierre Maxted wrote:

> In article <4qroqt$7s4 at darkstar.UCSC.EDU>, Steve
> Allen <sla at umbra.ucolick.org> wrote:
> >Take note, however, of the WCS draft paper at
> >http://fits.cv.nrao.edu/documents/wcs/wcs.html
> >which proposes to standardize the usage of MJD-OBS.  This will work
> : : :
>  ... which reminds me that at the last IAU general meeting there was some
> discussion of abondoning MJD since it was ambiguous/redundant. Am I
> correct? Is it feasible to drop MJD from the FITS standard?

You can't drop something from the standard that isn't in yet.  Even if
MJD-OBS never becomes a mandatory part of the WCS extension to the FITS
standard, it's still valid as a general-purpose keyword  for observatories
to supply.  In fact it's  one of the few keywords that's unambiguous already
without  needing an offical definition.

Guy Rixon,				gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Software Engineering Group,		Tel: +44-1223-374000
Royal Greenwich Observatory 		Fax: +44-1223-374700