[evlatests] ea09 below 30 degrees...

rperley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon May 25 17:53:45 EDT 2020

We ran the 'gain-elevation' script last night.  The purpose is to
remeasure the gains as a function of elevation, from X through Q bands.
The method uses 'double-referenced pointing' -- referenced pointing is
done first at X-band, and these results are used to 'peak up' Ku-band,
then K-band, then Ka, and ending with Q-band.  This is to ensure the
antennas as peaked up on the source for each band and elevation.

Observations started with the source (J2007+4029) at 11 degrees
elevation, and proceeded cyclically  through the bands until meridian
transit.  For each cycle, the old referenced pointing solutions were
'forgotten' when X-band was next scheduled.  This procedure worked very
well for nearly all antennas.  But not ea09...

Something is seriously amiss with this antenna, for elevations below 30
degrees.

All referenced pointing attempts failed, including the initial X-band
one, until the antennas reached 23 degrees elevation.  At this
elevation, the solution offset parameters looked good, but in fact were
not, as the gains (at X-band!) were low by 40%.  As the antenna rose,
the gains rapidly increased until, at elevation 34 degrees, all looked
normal at all bands.  From then until meridian transit, all was well.

I have no idea what is wrong here.  Any ideas?

Rick