[evlatests] Polarization Changes

rperley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon May 11 12:28:06 EDT 2020

Rotating the receivers by 90 degrees is (for me) the easiest way to
directly measure the 'absolute' polarizations of the antennas. The idea
is to rotate one antenna's receivers by 90 degrees.  Subsequent
observation of a polarized source, combined with an observation of the
source in the unrotated state, permits easy determination of the
polarization.  This is different than the standard polarization
measurement, which provides relative polarizations (to the antenna
chosen as reference).

This exercise has been done three times -- in March 2011 (with the
results written up in EVLA Memos 131 and 151), Feb 2019, and January
2020.  For the 2011 observations, the rotation was done at L, S, C and X
bands, although most of the antennas were not yet converted to EVLA
standards.  For 2019, the rotation was done at L, S and C bands
(unfortunately, the X band receiver could not be rotated in ea10).  In
2020, the L, S, C, X and Ku receivers were rotated in ea09, although the
rotation at X-band was only by 60 degrees, due to physical limitations
in that antenna).

I have now reduced all these data, with one goal being to compare the
solutions over the 9-year time span since the first observation.  (The
recent X-band observation reduction is not yet complete -- some code
changes are needed in the 'TRUEP' program to account for the 60 degree
rotation).

Here I note some interesting changes in the polarization.

1) 2011 to 2020:  There is virtually no similarity in the polarizations
of the EVLA antennas at L, S and C bands between these times.  However,
many changes have taken place since 2011, notably all the C-band
polarizers have been replaced.  (Also, only 5 L-band antennas had been
converted to wide-band, and 9 S-band antennas had been updated to the
new designs by March 2011).  Likely, numerous other changes have also
occurred over that 9-year span, so any hope for close similarly over
this span is likely wishful thinking ...

2) 2019 to 2020:  I have comparison data for 24 antennas -- ea07, 08, 24
and 25 have observations  on only one date, so no comparison can be
made.

At S and C bands, the polarization are virtually identical -- typically
changing by small fractions of 1% over this time.  This is good news,
for if we ever get to the point of implementing automatic polarization
calibration, we should be able to employ tabled values of the antenna
polarizations.  Two C-band antennas did not replicate well:  ea11 and
ea16.  For the former the changes were not large (~ 1%), but for the
latter, the polarization was completely different.  Was that receiver
replaced, or some other major change to it made between Feb 2019 and Jan
2020?

At L-band, the situation is notably different:  For about half of the
antennas, the polarizations are very similar (similar to the S and C
band situation).  But for some others, dramatic changes have taken
place.  Those with the most dramatic changes are:  ea02, 03, 06, 09, 11,
19, and 28.  What has happened to these antennas' receivers between Feb
2019 and Jan 2020?

A memo is being prepared with all the results from these observations.