[evlatests] Some Nice ACU Results

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 1 11:29:04 EDT 2018

     With the arrival of my REU Summer Student (Lucas Wilkins), we are
continuing the antenna optics alignment program which was started, but
not completed, last summer.

     Our initial tests were done Wednesday evening, with rather nice
results.  This report is a brief summary.  More details will come later.

     This test comprised two cuts through the main beam and innermost
sidelobes at each band from C through Q.  One cut in azimuth, the other
in elevation.  The elevation of the target source (3C273) was 46
degrees.  We used the holography function, with a 10-second step
duration, and  a 5X oversampling, so the stepsize in the holographic
cuts varied from ~33 arcseconds at X-band to ~6 arcseconds at Q band.

     The major purpose of the test was to see if the new ACU antennas
had any oddities in their beam profiles arising from from optical
misalignments, or from the various 'tunings' needed to smooth the
response to the step motions.

     There are now eight 'new ACU' antennas:  1, 2, 7, 8, 14, 16, 21 and
28.  For all of these, the response to both the azimuth and elevation
steps was extremely good, with virtually no overshoot visible, except at
the shortest stepsizes (Q-band).  But even here, the overshoot is very
small, and much better than the 'old ACU' response.

     In terms of optics alignments, it's clear that some small (few
millimeter) motion of the subreflector will be needed to optimize
performance.  Antenna 1 is definitely the worst.  There are small but
significant offsets visible in both azimuth and elevation cuts in most
antennas (both 'new' and 'old').  The azimuth offsets will require small
horizontal 'nudges' to the subreflector to correct.  We'll provide a
table of recommended offsets once analysis is complete.  The elevation
offsets should be correctable through modification of the 'subreflector
rotation trick' coefficients.  More tests are needed to evaluate these
-- the first were taken last night, the remainder should be completed
this evening.

     For the 'old ACU' antennas:  Three of these were used as reference
(5, 9, 19) so we have no information on their performance.  Amongst the
others, there are two antennas that warrant special mention:

    1)  ea10's azimuth performance is quite exceptional:  For the larger
stepsizes (say, 15 arcseconds and larger), its settling looks like the
other antennas.  (Which is to say there's a significant overshoot, but
quick settling after 4 or 5 seconds). But for small stepsizes, the
overshoot appears larger and the settling not nearly completed after 10
seconds.  (I'd estimate the overshoot amplitude to be at least 6
arcseconds at Q-band, which has a 6 arcsecond stepsize).

     2) ea22 is similar to ea10 in that the overshoot becomes much more
pronounced for the smaller stepsizes, but is different in that the
oscillation is quickly damped out.

     It would be good to understand and repair the ACU issues leading to
these curious performance characteristics, but an alternate solution
would be to place these two antennas at the top of the 'ACU Retrofit' list.

     Overall, the behavior shown from the first test is quite good.
There is likely a significant issue with the application of referenced
pointing within the holography function -- I'll review the data this
morning, and report on this issue separately.

     Rick