[evlatests] Birdie at 30.976 GHz

Wes Grammer wgrammer at nrao.edu
Thu Feb 15 11:27:37 EST 2018

Jim, it does seem possible, since this birdie is the second harmonic of
one of the L301 tuning frequencies (15.488 GHz). I did a bench test of
harmonic output from the downconverter back in 2015, when a similar
birdie at 29.44 GHz was found; a PDF is attached. It shows the LO-IF
leakage for a wide range of the possible LO drive frequencies, but the
ones applicable to the VLA are between 14.720 and 16.256 GHz, as they
are within the passband of the output filter after the LO tripler.

Interestingly, this new one is right in the center of that band, but my
earlier measurement showed no detectable IF output at 15.488 GHz (which
would correspond to a sky frequency of 30.976 GHz). There was a
substantial spike at 15.744 GHz, however.

I'll double check this result in the lab today - I happen to have a good
downconverter in the test set and the equipment set up. Rick, in your
observation with this detection, was the L301 set to 15.488 GHz?

-Wes