[evlatests] More troubles with Referenced Pointing

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Dec 17 18:57:11 EST 2018

     I've looked at the referenced pointing data from my 17B-053 science
run, taken Friday morning.

     Two significant issues have been identified:

     1) New-ACU antennas are being incompletely flagged when moving from
one position to another.

     2) All antennas have overshoots and oscillations, which are not
flagged. For some new-ACU antennas and some positions, these
oscillations last longer than the 20 seconds allotted to each position.
(The period of these is about 10 seconds -- far from the resonant period
of the antennas themselves).

     Note that these erroneous data -- because they are not flagged --
are being utilized for the pointing solutions.  In most cases, the
effects are not especially large.  But I think we can, and should, do
better.

     My suggestion is to utilize only the last 10 -- 12 seconds of each
position, regardless of the flags.

     Because 'a picture is worth 1000 words', I've attached a
three-slide pdf, showing some of the data.

     Hichem and Vivek are looking into these issues.

     Rick