[evlatests] Phase/Delay jumps on ea13 and ea26 at X-band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Apr 12 11:50:47 EDT 2018

     I'm reducing science data taken on the strong quasar 3C273. The
program cycles through X, Ku, K, and Ka bands.

     Overall, data quality is excellent.

     However, I've noted a peculiar effect for antennas 13 and 26, at
X-band (using 8-bit sampling).  There are two distinct delay/phase
states, differing by 40 ps in delay, and 140 degrees in phase.  (Likely,
the former causes the latter).

     In most cases, when the antenna is tuned to X-band, the resulting
delay can be 40 ps different than the last observation at that
frequency.  However, in many cases, the delay/phase jumps *in the middle
of the scan* to the alternate state.

     The jump scale is the same for both antennas, and is identical in
both polarizations.  The jump times, however, are completely
uncorrelated between the two antennas.

     These jumps are definitely *not* due to atmospheric effects --
which are easily seen on all antennas, are of a completely different
characteristic.

     I have yet to review the data from the other bands (or the 3-bit
data from X-band) -- and will report the results when I do this.