[evlatests] P-band status

Dan Mertely dmertely at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 27 14:10:09 EDT 2017

Hi Rick.  Fernando & I got time this Maint day to check out
5 of the 10 EVLA antennas where you reported > 10% cross-pol.
All that we checked out were sequentially at the end of the
west arm (for our convenience).  The results were:

ea18:
o Alignment almost perfect (referenced to the quad legs).
o Both dipoles were straight.
o The elements were 180 deg out from "normal".  ie: When
   the antenna is at EL < 90, the vertical dipole element
   that connects to the coax center is on top.  (We finally
   found one!)

ea22:
o Alignment almost perfect (referenced to the quad legs).
o Both dipoles were straight.
o The elements were oriented "normal" (shield side up
   for the V dipole).

ea03:
o Alignment almost perfect (referenced to the quad legs).
o The vertical dipole elements were straight, but the
   horizontal were not in alignment--1 side off by maybe
   1.5 degrees, while the other side pointed directly at
   the center of its quad leg.
o The elements were oriented "normal" (shield side up
   for the V dipole).

ea16:
o Alignment almost perfect (referenced to the quad legs).
o Both dipoles were straight.
o The elements were oriented "normal" (shield side up
   for the V dipole).

ea19:
o Alignment almost perfect (referenced to the quad legs).
o Both dipoles were *not* straight.  For both the H & V
   sides, 1 element leg would be off by maybe 1.5 degrees,
   while the other side of the same dipole pointed directly
   at the center of its quad leg.
o The elements were oriented "normal" (shield side up
   for the V dipole).

So, I'm not sure what caused your cross-pol results.  Perhaps
the linearity of the dipole elements is showing up, but then
why would ea18, ea22, & ea16 show bad?  They were straight.
(As noted by my email "Re: ea26 & ea24 P-band dipole orientation
check" of 20170912, your reference antenna, ea24, also has a
linearity problem with one of the 2 dipoles.  Could the reference
antenna's imperfections be transferring to the antennas
under test?  Still, the 1/4 wavelength element that was crooked
on ea24 was only off by around 1.5 to 2 degrees.  ??.)
-Mert