[evlatests] low-band noise contamination update

Paul Demorest pdemores at nrao.edu
Thu Jun 22 10:53:44 EDT 2017

hi all,

This is an update on the issue of the low-band noise diode signal
leaking into L/S band.  About two weeks ago, the low-band system on ea09
was modified to use a different noise source part.  Wes can provide more
details, but my understanding is that the key feature is the new diode
generates 20 dB less signal power than the older one.  Some attenuation
downstream was removed so that the final in-band switched power signal
level should be about the same.

I took data last week (6/14 and 6/15) to see if the leakage effects
improved following this fix.  It turns out they do look significantly
better!  The first two attached plots show the "on-off" switched power
vs frequency spectra pre- and post- modification.  Sorry about lack of
axis labels... I think the most useful plot is the bottom panel which
gives the ratio of the switched power seen at S-band when the low-band
cal is switching vs when the low-band cal is off.  The colors are the
different polarizations.  Ideally we want to see a flat line with a
value of 1.0.  With the old part the low-band leakage was up to ~4x as
strong as the S-band cal signal in certain parts of the band.  With the
new part this initial test couldn't pick up any effect at all.

I then ran a longer test and it turns out the effect is still present
but at a much reduced amplitude.  These data are shown in the third
attached plot.  The leakage is now at most ~4% of the S-band cal power.
So this seems completely consistent with a 20 dB reduction in the
leakage signal level.  A topic for future discussion is whether this
level of effect would be acceptable or not (in case VLITE wanted to make
use of the switched power for example).

I did not take any 4/P-band data to check that the in-band switched
power measurement still looks OK with the new part.  Maybe Frank or
others can comment on this aspect.

Cheers,
Paul