[evlatests] LBR noise cal filter tests

Paul Demorest pdemores at nrao.edu
Tue Apr 25 12:18:52 EDT 2017

hi all,

This is an update on the effect of the low-band noise cal (aka switched
power) system on L- and S-bands (see various old emails from me to
evlatests about this).  Note that currently the low-band cals are turned
off during all non-low-band observations, so this is not an ongoing
problem.

Last week, Wes and co. installed some extra filters into the low-band
systems on ea09 and ea11 to see if this effect could be reduced via a HW
fix.  To test this, I took some new data both before (2017/03/30) and
after (2017/04/24) the filters were installed.

The short answer is that the filters do not really seem to have helped.
The pattern of power vs freq does not look exactly the same as it did
before, but the effect is clearly still there.  ea09 may even look a bit
worse after this work.  I don't know what (if anything) this tells us
about the nature of the problem.  Any ideas?

For those who want to see the data, the attached PDF shows the results
from the two S-band tests for all antennas where data were taken.  The
quantity shown is the ratio of "on-off" power at 10 Hz when P-band cals
are switching to when they are off, as a function of frequency.  S-band
cals were switching the entire time, so ideally we want to see a flat
line with a value of 1.0 (ie like ea04 which for some reason is not
showing this effect currently).  This was measured using binning-mode
widar autocorrelations.

Most antennas show nearly identical results in the two tests, so this
effect is apparently stable over few-week timescales.  The power vs freq
pattern clearly changed for ea09 and ea11, presumably as a result of the
filter work.  It also changed for ea01 and ea16.  Maybe there was some
other work on the low-band systems on these antennas during this time
range?

I also took L-band data but it turned out not to be very useful due to a
bug in the data recording software.  ea09 and ea11 still do show a
strong effect at L-bang though.

Cheers,
Paul