[evlatests] new RFI spikes at L-band

Emmanuel Momjian emomjian at nrao.edu
Thu Sep 8 14:27:27 EDT 2016

Some of our low redshift neutral hydrogen observers will have a major
setback when observing sources with sky frequencies between about 1385
and 1405 MHz. The RFI sweep results taken last week show five RFI
features (see attached; RR on left, and LL on right, average of all the
available baselines in the data). The widths of these features span
between about 1 and 2 MHz. For reference, in these RFI sweeps we target
the north celestial pol. It is not clear when this started, but science
data taken in May of this year (targeting a source at a declination near
0 deg) have these too. However, the RFI sweep in June 2015 did not show
them.

The majority of the baselines are showing these features with varying
strengths. The analysis of the data is ongoing, while colleagues in the
electronics division are starting to investigate the source of the problem.

For completeness, I append below Dan's initial assessment on this topic.

Emmanuel