[evlatests] High-Speed RFI!

Dan Mertely dmertely at nrao.edu
Tue Oct 4 12:27:24 EDT 2016

Hi Rick.  No satellite transmitters are allowed in 4200-4400 MHz, see
below from the allocation chart:
International Table:
4200-4400
AERONAUTICAL RADIONAVIGATION
5.438 5.439 5.440

United States Table:
4200-4400
AERONAUTICAL RADIONAVIGATION
5.440 US261

5.438 Use of the band 4200-4400 MHz by the aeronautical radionavigation
service is reserved exclusively for radio altimeters installed on board
aircraft and for the associated transponders on the ground. However,
passive sensing in the Earth exploration-satellite and space research
services may be authorized in this band on a secondary basis (no
protection is provided by the radio altimeters).

5.439 Additional allocation: in Iran (Islamic Republic of) and Libyan
Arab Jamahiriya, the band 4200-4400 MHz is also allocated to the fixed
service on a secondary basis.

5.440 The standard frequency and time signal-satellite service may be
authorized to use the frequency 4202 MHz for space-to-Earth
transmissions and the frequency 6427 MHz for Earth-to-space
transmissions. Such transmissions shall be confined within the limits of
± 2 MHz of these frequencies, subject to agreement obtained under No. 9.21.

US261 The use of the band 4200-4400 MHz by the aeronautical
radionavigation service is reserved exclusively for airborne radio
altimeters. Experimental stations will not be authorized to develop
equipment for operational use in this band other than equipment related
to altimeter stations. However, passive sensing in the Earth-exploration
satellite and space research services may be authorized in this band on
a secondary basis (no protection is provided from the radio altimeters).
Could the apparent fast geographic sweep of the RFI be the
result of aliasing with our sampling?  The cause is more likely
to be an airborne altimeter from a fairly slow moving plane.
-Mert