[evlatests] Failure to tune at x-band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Sat Jan 16 15:49:09 EST 2016

     A beam-holography script was run last night, at X-band.

     Repeated 'failures to tune correctly' occurred on four instances.
Three of these were after x-band referenced pointing was done.  The
referenced pointing was done with different frequency tunings (but in
the same band).  The other instance was at the beginning of the
observation.  For all four, the failures were only in the 'A/C' IFs.
The B/D pair were fine.

     Details:

     1) Instance A:  First scan in the run -- antennas 5 6 18 and 19 did
not tune correctly (no fringes), on SPWs 1 through 8, and both
polarizations.

     2) Instance B:  Following the first referenced pointing. Antennas
6, 9, 18, 24 and 26.  (On the following scan, all antennas except ea06
came back to life.  Ea06 returned on the next scan).

     3) Instance C:  Following the 2nd referenced pointing.  Antennas 3
5 11 and 18.

     4) Instance D:  following the 3rd (and last) referenced pointing.
Antennas 9 11 13 19 24 26 and 27.

     This failure is particularly insidious since it is *not* caught by
the flagging system.  In nearly all cases, the non-fringing antenna
returns on the following scan.

     This failure mode is long-standing.  I believe I have seen it in
every case that I can remember where and X-band observation follows an
X-band referenced pointing done at a different frequency.