[evlatests] December Engineering/Tests Meeting

Alan Erickson aerickso at nrao.edu
Mon Dec 19 17:16:31 EST 2016

If we view the EVLA as a testing facility for RF switches, we've had 308
devices under test for (conservatively) 58k cycles with 24 failures,
from which we can calculate the observed MTBF as (308/24) * 58k = 750k
operations. Given likely errors in the number of wear-producing
operations, I consider this comfortably within the manufacturer's 1000k
MTBF -- quite so, as this data encompasses the infant-mortality stage.
Although we should ensure that our sparing and maintenance costs are
accurately forecast, I don't see this as an alarming failure rate.

Please holler if you think I'm off in left field.For those who would
like to see a short refresher on MTBF, Vicor has a digestible summary
(MTBF on p. 7):

    (note: direct pdf
link)http://www.vicorpower.com/documents/quality/Rel_MTBF.pdf