[evlatests] December Engineering/Tests Meeting

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Dec 14 17:24:22 EST 2016

     All:

     We have three items (so far) for discussion.  There's time for more
-- let me know if you have something to show/tell/discuss.

     1) Steve:         RF Switches.

     2) Frank:         Recent 4-m ('4-band') observations with VLA and
LWA1.

     3) Rick:           P-band polarization issues.

     Following my presentation on the current state of P-band
polarimetry (not good), I'd like to have a general discussion of the
completion of the low-band systems.  This means:

     A) Regular semi-automated testing of P-band functionality (already
done, I think?)
     B) Alignment of the P-band dipoles:  How accurate?  How stable?
Ideally, we want ~2.5 degrees accuracy, and higher stability.  If
impossible or really difficult (translation:  years away and more cost
than we can handle), we'd accept 5 degrees alignment, and higher stability.
            -- If accurate and stable alignment is not possible, is
there a circular polarization option?
     C) Completion of installation of the new 4-band feeds.

     Effective use of these low frequency systems by our user community
requires they be completed and stabilized on a short timescale.