[evlatests] P-Band system report ...

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 8 17:39:37 EST 2016

            Frank asked me to check up on the P-band performance.

     I took some data on 3C286, and a nearby blank field, early in the
afternoon.

     Antennas 15 and 23 were out of the array.

     Problems found:

     1) ea14 has *very* low sensitivity -- by a factor of 2 to 4 in the
center part of the band to very much worse at the lower frequencies.
The bandpass is also odd, particularly in phase.
     All other antennas have nominal sensitivity.

     2) ea28X has a much larger 3 MHz ripple than any other antenna -- 2
dB in power (pk -- pk).  All others are less than 1 dB.  (The frequency
structure indicates a reflection of equivalent free-space length of 50
meters).

     3) Cross polarization is very low on a set of antennas, and very
high on others:

     a) Very low: (< 5%)  ea01, 3, 7, 14, 16, 22, 25 and 26.
     b) Very high: (> 40%) ea02, 06, 17, 19, and 27.

     The oddity is:  the list of low - polarization antennas have very
little correlation with the list of antennas whose P-band dipoles have
been stabilized.  These are:  ea01, 8, 10, 14, 20, 22, and 24.  (ea
01,14 and 22 are the only ones common to both).

     When observing an unpolarized source (which all our standard
calibrators are at P-band), the major source of cross polarization must
be misaligned dipoles.  (The only alternative is very poor isolation
between the two electronics channels).

     Thus:
     a) the dipoles in the list given in 3(b) must all be *seriously*
out of alignment with those listed in 3(a).
     b) the dipoles in list 3(a) should all be close to parallel.
     c) The dipoles in the stabilized antennas:  ea08, 10, 20, and 24
are not properly aligned with those in ea01, 14, and 22.

     Reminder:  Keeping the cross-polarization below 5% (the same limit
imposed at the high frequency bands) requires the dipoles to be aligned
to ~ 2.5 degrees.