[evlatests] S-band switched power behavior -- 13 September

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Thu Oct 1 16:06:53 EDT 2015

     I loaded the data from an 8-hour S-band run, taken with the same
frequency tunings (but a different correlator setup) from my holography
data.   The source and its calibrator in the 13 Sept. data are about 10
degrees north of 3C147, the object in the holography run.
     Examination of the switched power table showed two things:

     1) This run had a nearly 'dead-on' hit from one of the Sirius
satellites.    For about 30 minutes, there is essentially zero total
power and zero switched power in the LCP side.  The antenna beam
sidelobes are clearly visible -- as *decreased* power -- in the switched
power data.
I've asked Vivek to make plots of the satellite and antenna pointing
positions.   The RCP side was also affected, but to a much lesser degree.

     2) In general, the switched power quality for this run is far
better than that in the holography run.  All spectral windows behave
similarly, and none (except SPW03) are provide data which are clearly
unrelated to what we think reality is.  As always close examination find
oddities which shouldn't be there -- but nothing like what was in the
holography data.

     So this would seem to indicate that the bizarre effects seen in the
S-band holography data are certainly different than the norm, and
perhaps unique to that particular scheduling block.  (But ... how can
this happen?)