[evlatests] More on the Big Pulses

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Jun 12 11:12:13 EDT 2015

     I've looked a bit more closely at the extraordinary RFI.

     1) The period is within 0.1 seconds of 10.0 seconds.  (i.e., I
count exactly 60 pulses in 600 seconds).

     2) Every few minutes, a pulse is missing.

     3) My earlier estimate of the pulse duration was incorrect. It's
actually 1 second, or less.  The earlier estimate did not take into
account the sidelobes of the radiating antenna.  (With a little work, I
could figure this out -- but I doubt it's worth the effort ...)

     4) The pulse peak power is 10 to 20 times the total power in the
spectral window -- so ~ 6000 Jy if it came in through the main beam, and
was distributed uniformly over 128 MHz.  In fact, it's in a single
channel (so 64X stronger), and likely comes in through a zero dBi
sidelobe -- so ~ 10^5 stronger than that.  That's a big number.

     4) Attached is a short plot, showing the total power (PSum) in the
first four IFs, for a short period of time.  It gives a nice lesson on
the effect of such power over the entire IF.  The two pulses (the
stronger at 3250 MHz in SPW#3, the weaker at 3206 MHz in SPW#2) are seen
in the middle two panels.  In the top and bottom panels, the 'pulses'
are seen as negative -- this is due to compression, presumably in the
analog electronics, likely the T304.

     5) The pulses are seen with equal strength on all antennas, and
equally throughout the 1.6 hour duration of the observation.  The former
rules out a local origin -- the distance of the emitter is many times
the scale of the array (B-configuration, so of order 100 km or more).
The latter makes it hard to believe the origin is airborne.  (But I do
note that the pulse strength varies over a factor ~ 2 over the 1.6 hour
duration).

     So this sure looks like a radar signal.  Does anybody run a radar
on top of one of the local mountains, which they were testing this day?
(May 5th, around noon).