[evlatests] Something Odd in applying RQ and T304 gain corrections

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 25 13:46:50 EDT 2015

     I reported last week on the effects of 'PDif' issues on gain
corrections.  Within that report was a note on some odd problems with
some antennas.  This note expands on this.

     The observations spanned about 16 hours, last October.  All bands
(from P through Q) were observed.  There were typically 200 observations
at each of the nine bands -- that's a lot of receiver and correlator
reconfigurations!  Troubles were expected -- and did indeed occur.

     The 8-bit samplers were employed for all nine frequency bands.
Unique to this observation was resetting the requantizers for every
observation at P, L, and S bands.  The modifications to the script were
done either by Ken or Vivek.    Note that we normally employ the RQ
resetting only with the 3-bit samplers -- and in the subsequent
analysis, *only* the RQ changes are applied to the data. (This because
we have yet to face up to the issues of understanding, and correcting
for, the dependence of the digital PDif values as a function of power).

     In calibrating these 8-bit/RQ adjusted data, a peculiar effect was
noted.  For all three bands, large gain changes occurred for a few
antennas.  The characteristics are:

     1) Both polarization affected equally.
     2) All spectral windows affected equally.
     3) The same antennas affected in the same way for all three bands.
Worst was ea11, followed by ea04.  Most antennas were not affected.
     4) The gain change was always the same way -- the visibilities
dropped in amplitude.
     5) The magnitude of the drop was typically 10 -- 50%.
     6) The change of gain lasts only for

     More careful review showed that, in many, but not all, cases, the
change of gain was accompanied by a small change in delay (< 1 ns).

     So, on the face of this, it looks like a clear case of the T304
attenuators changing (when they shouldn't, since 'set-and-remember' was
invoked).  If this is what is happening, the result of this should be
clearly evident in the switched power data.

     There are *no* changes in PDif accompanying these observed large
changes in fringe power.    The large drops in visibility flux are
(almost) exactly the same whether the RQ-only changes, or the PDif
changes are applied.

     We're missing something here.  Our understanding is that all the
needed information for gain correction is in the PDif values.  That is
-- whether the RQ was changed or not, the PDif alone is sufficient for
complete gain correction.

     Is this correct?