[evlatests] Tcal accuries at P-band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Sep 3 13:41:48 EDT 2014

     Vivek's point is (of course!) a good one.   So I looked at the
ratio of the PSum (digital total power) between Cygnus A and the
calibrator 3C48.   Providing the digital power is itself linear, this
ratio gives us a number proportional to the antenna efficiency.

     The result is that there is indeed considerable variation between
the antennas -- and that the antennas which are clearly low in
efficiency are often the ones requiring a higher-than-normal gain
correction, and vice versa.   Hence, some (but not all) of the
variations in the PDif-corrected data are due to an incorrect efficiency.

     At 312 MHz (the subband I utilized), the great majority of the
antennas have a ratio of Cygnus A - to - 3C48 power between 3.8 and
4.2.  Those significantly low (poor efficiency) are:

     ea06  The ratio is 3.6 and 3.4 in R and L, respectively. However,
the gain corrections for this antenna are small, so if the efficiency
really is low, then the effect is neatly offset by the TCals being too
high.

     ea10 and ea12.  Both of these antennas have power ratios of about
3.3.  The required gain correction are exactly as expected for low
efficiency, so I conclude that for both of these, the Tcals are about
right.

     ea14.  The ratios are 3.4 and 2.1 (!) for 'R' and 'L'.  However,
the gain corrections (0.96 and 0.71) are incompatible with low
efficiency.  Something else is wrong here, particularly with the 'L' side.

     ea18.  Very low on the 'L' side only (3.10).  No gain correction
possible, as the PDif values were nonsensical.

     ea19.  Ratios of 3.1 and 3.4.  But the gain correction of 0.65 on
the 'L' side is incompatible with low efficiency.  On the 'R' side, the
correction of 1.07 is in the right direction for low efficiency, but is
not large enough.  The listed Tcal of 21K is probably too high.

     ea23.  Ratios of 3.7 on both polarizations -- nicely matched with
the gain corrections of 1.12.  Conclusion:  Tcals are o.k., but
efficiency is too low.

     ea25.  Ratios of 3.81 and 3.19 for R and L.  The gain corrections
of 1.25 and 1.5 are larger than needed for the apparent efficiencies.
The listed Tcal values of 10 and 11 K are the lowest for any antenna,
and are probably lower than actual.

     ea27.  Ratios of 3.65 for both sides, but not matched by the unity
gain corrections.  Presumably offset by similarly incorrect Tcal values.

An extra piece of information is illuminating.  ea28 did not get its
requantizers set in this experiment, since it was out of the array at
the beginning of the run.  The power levels for this subband were
(remarkably!) a factor of four too high -- PSum of 60 rather than 15.
Despite this, the efficiency ratio (3C405/3C48 power ratio) was 4.15 for
both polarizations -- right where it should be.   This is an indication
(but not proof) of linearity in the power measurement.  However --- the
visibility data from this antenna for Cygnus A are *definitely*
compressed.   (More on this, later).

Recommendation:

We might consider the following, as an experiment:  Utilize the power
ratio data to adjust the efficiencies utilized in the correction
algorithm (TYAPL).  (Currently, these are all the same value).  Then
repeat the operation which provides the gain corrections, and utilize
these values to adjust the Tcal values.  If this works (as it should) at
P-band, consider doing this at other bands.